I thought for this post I would talk about something I am obsessed with and in this case that is the theatre. Ever since I was little, I have loved the magic of the theatre, I always swear this was installed in my by my drama teacher who up until the age of around 12/13 had only met me once at my sisters parents evening, if I had known then how truly remarkable and inspiring this woman was I would have been so excited to start secondary school.
I thought that for today’s post I would list and talk about five of my all-time favourite theatre shows. (a lot harder to pick than you would think.)
So here it goes:
- Phantom of the Opera- now this was my first ever theatre show that I saw and funny enough I saw because we studied this for GCSE Drama, a subject that I loved more than anything in the world. I was not originally excited about going to see this as I did not see myself as a fan of the opera but still to this day it became my favourite musical theatre show. It is the most stunning story that even those who dislike opera would fall in love with this show.
- Wicked- Now this one holds a great deal of meaning to me and it is one of the best shows on the west end. My little obsession with miss Elphaba never seems to decrease no matter how many times I watch this show. It is a show that teaches you the true meaning of friendship and that even though you might see yourself as someone who is not beautiful by the rest of the world’s standards there is someone out there who thinks that you are beautiful no matter what the worlds typical standards are. It will certainly change you for good (well aware that if you have never seen it that reference will make no sense.)
- Kinky Boots- (unfortunately not in the west end anymore) Is the most heartwarming theatre show ever. You want to be different let’s be different, you want to save your fathers shoe company by making thigh high heeled red boots (Kinky Boots) for drag queens, I can guarantee you will be strutting around the street for days later. For anyone who hasn’t had the opportunity to see Kinky Boots, you missed out of the greatest revolution.
- School of rock – A family-friendly favourite and definitely a feel-good classic. The cast of School of Rock is always insane and the children are extremely talented and play all the instruments live. Although my favourite cast member is no longer part of the west end team, I will definitely see this show as many times as physically possible.
- Dreamgirls- Again no longer showing in the west end but still definitely up there with one the best musicals I have seen and also it is an emotional one. Hearing one of my all-time favorite songs being sung with extreme power in the Savoy Theatre puts this up there with the best of them.
So there that’s it my top 5 theatre shows but I can promise you I could go on for days about the wonders of the theatre.
What’s your favourite theatre show?